Call Asi Schmid-Dondero, Executive Director, at 414-807-8601 with any questions
At the end of 1917 Mother Maria Tauscher, Foundress of the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus purchased a 13 acre piece of farmland. The first home was a simple farm house located at the corner of County T Road and 29th Avenue. A couple of years after the purchase of the house, the Sisters added a home for the aged and a chapel. which then became St. Joseph's Home. The first home had 30 residents, most of whom were females. The Sisters raised chickens, pigs, fruits and vegetables to help keep the home financially solvent.
By 1959 the home was in need of numerous repairs and consequently plans were under way to build a bigger, newer St. Joseph's Home, Chapel and Convent. During the week of March 7, 1961, Archbishop William E. Cousins of Milwaukee officiated at the dedication.
In 1974, plans were drawn up for an activity room. This project was completed in 1976. In 1980, a retirement home for the aged Sisters was opened which could accommodate 30 aged or infirmed Sisters. In the early 80's the Sister's apostolate was extended to include Adult Day Care. In July of 1981, a Child Day Care center was also started with preschool children. In the fall of 1985 we opened St. Joseph's Villa Independent Living Apartments for older adults.
In 2019, St. Joseph's Home transitioned from a Skilled Nursing Facility to a Community Based Residential Facility (Assisted Living), now known as The Legacy at St. Joseph's.
Copyright © 2020 The Legacy at St. Joseph's - All Rights Reserved.